Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the essential perhaps

In my junior year of college, i participated in the annual Magnetic Poetry Contest during Arts Week. And i won second place. I got a basketball t-shirt from the clearance rack of the school store. This remains my proudest poetry accomplishment to date.

Two of my professors asked me to read the poem in class the next day. It was a weird time for everyone involved.

The original version was a pretty random mish-mash of words and phrases; in other words, it was exactly what you'd expect from a magnetic poetry contest. But the one line that the contest judge kept repeating, the one line that i think won me my prize, was a line that stuck with me.

I won't share the original version here, because i do have some pride. But now, two years after my glorious victory, i have edited it almost beyond recognition. Only one line remains. There is still a lot of work to be done, but at least it's something now, instead of word salad.

there is a throbbing in my bones:
i am in reckless pursuit
of the essential perhaps
nothing is as seductive
as possibility
it is the only certain alchemy
turning disappointment to hope

No comments:

Post a Comment